ICD-10-CM Coding Important Social Determinants of Health: All About SDOHKnow the What and How of the 2020 ICD-10-CM Coding for Social Determinants of Health
Social determinants of health (SDOH) are the economic and social conditions that influence individual and group differences in health status. They are conditions in which people are born, grow, live, work and age and may impact a wide range of health, functioning, and quality-of-life outcomes and risks. More data is needed to assist in identifying these contributing factors; thus, health information professionals can assist by assigning ICD-10-CM codes.
With SDOH data, we can better understand the patient story, how and when to provide social services and other types of care and treatment. HIM professionals need to be aware of and help with the coding and reporting of these determinants. Now is the time to learn about SDOH and initiate ICD-10-CM code assignment by developing departmental policies.
More and more we hear about Social Determinants of Health of SDOH and that we should use and collect the data. Use ICD-10-CM Chapter 21 for the SDOH codes:
- Z55 Problems related to education and literacy
- Z56 Problems related to employment and unemployment
- Z57 Occupational exposure to risk factors
- Z58 Problems related to physical environment
- Z59 Problems related to housing and economic circumstances
- Z60 Problems related to social environment
- Z62 Problems related to upbringing
- Z63 Other problems related to primary support group, including family circumstances
- Z64 Problems related to certain psychosocial circumstances
- Z65 Problems related to other psychosocial circumstances
It’s important to know what documentation to be used to assign these codes. Join this comprehensive program by coding and compliance expert, Gloryanne Bryant, to brush up on what can we do to capture the SDOH data, and review the ICD-10-CM Tabular (Z55-Z65).
- Overview of Social determinants of health (SDOH: What and Why?
- ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding & Reporting, Z codes
- Action to take: Awareness and Policy Making
- Case Scenario’s or SDOH
- Summary & Q/A
- How have Social Determinants of Health (SDOH) become so important to all settings of Healthcare?
- What do the ICD-10-CM Coding Guidelines tell us about SDOH?
- What can we do to capture the SDOH data?
- Review the ICD-10-CM Tabular for category Persons with potential health hazards related to socioeconomic and psychosocial circumstances (Z55-Z65)
Who Should Attend
- Coding Supervisor/Manager
- Outpatient Coding Auditor
- Outpatient Coding Educator
- Coder/Coding Professional (outpatient setting)
- Coding Compliance Specialist/Mgr.
- Hospital ER coding professional
- Physician Office Coding Staff
- SNF and Rehab Coding Staff
- Case and Care Management
- Social Workers, and Providers
Ask a question at the Q&A session following the live event and get advice unique to your situation, directly from our expert speaker.
Click for Menu of Ordering options